Registering the webcam.dll

Jul 26, 2007 at 3:39 PM
Hi,

I working on a project using the XA270 Launch Pad, everytime I power up the board I need to tell Windows CE5 the location of the driver, webcam.dll.
I was wandering if there is a registry setting that I could use to tell win CE where the driver is found?

Thanks in advance
Mark Bailey

Aug 13, 2007 at 1:51 PM
Hi

I just came up with the same problem. Information on Windows CE 5 loads USB-Drivers can be found here:
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms894079.aspx
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms894085.aspx

The webcam-driver comes with a "webcam.reg"-File (located in the Files-Directory). In there are the necessary registry-entries for the system to find and load the driver for Quickcam pro 5000 and UVC-Devices.

Apparently, if Windows CE asks you for the driver-dll, the USBInstallDriver-Function in USBCode.cpp is called and the driver enters these registry-values itself. In addition, the driver registers itself also for the following cameras:
Logitech QuickCam Fusion
Logitech QuickCam Orbit and
Logitech QuickCam Notebook Pro

Here are the necessary keys for these three cameras:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Drivers\USB\LoadClients\1133_2241\Default\Default\Video_Class
"DLL"="webcam.dll"

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Drivers\USB\LoadClients\1133_2242\Default\Default\Video_Class
"DLL"="webcam.dll"

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Drivers\USB\LoadClients\1133_2243\Default\Default\Video_Class
"DLL"="webcam.dll"

daniel
Aug 14, 2007 at 6:04 PM
Hi,

I'm new to Windows CE and Platform Builder...

I'm trying to register the driver as Windows CE 5 asks the Driver Name with the Unidentified USB Device dialog box. I'm writing "webcam" without the quotes and when I press OK button nothing happens.

What am I missing?

Thanks
Marcelo
Aug 14, 2007 at 6:39 PM
And I'm using a D-LINK dsb-c110 webcam... Is this model supported by the driver?

thanks
Marcelo
Aug 15, 2007 at 7:01 AM
Hello

The driver supports webcams which comply to the USB Video Class (UVC). I don't know, if your camera does. The specs at http://www.dlink.com.sg/products/resource.asp?sec=&pid=145&rid=567 don't say anything about it. I don't know exactly what happens if you use the driver with a non-UVC camera, but this is how I install the driver for my Logitech Quickcam pro 5000:
When I enter the driver-name (I always entered "webcam.dll", but maybe simply "webcam" works as well) in the Unidentified USB Device dialog box, windows ce either accepts it (the dialog box disappeared) or a window with an error-message appears.
If the dialog box disappears, you can check that the driver has been installed by looking for the above mentioned registry-values (if they are present, the driver is installed).
Also, if the driver is loaded (while the camera is connected), there is an entry under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Drivers\Active\"highest number" with Name="CAM1:" and Key="Drivers\USB\ClientDrivers\Video_Class".

Now you should be able to test the camera with the camtest2-application.

daniel