Mobile 6 webcam

Nov 8, 2007 at 6:50 PM
I have a hand held device running Windows Mobile 6. It has a usb host that I need to plug a Logitech Communicate STX into. I am new to webcam drivers and haven't done much development on the driver side to begin with. I know the camera is uvc compliant. Does anyone know if this camera will work with this driver. I have tried to compile the driver using VS2005, but I get a linker error that it cant find usbclient.lib. I have the mobile 5 and 6 sdk installed. Is there a platform builder I am missing for this library?

Thanks
Nov 12, 2007 at 6:08 PM
Hello

Yes, usbclient.dll comes with platform builder.
I downloaded and installed the evaluation version of platform builder to get the library.

daniel
Coordinator
Nov 17, 2007 at 11:31 PM
Unfortunately, I can't distribute that library with the source. As Daniel mentioned, you can download the eval version of Platform Builder and get the lib that way.

As for your initial question, I'm not sure this driver will do what you want. You to want to use the webcam with a Windows Mobile system. If however, you want to display the image through media player, this driver won't help. It doesn't support a proper Direct Show interface.

Microsoft has released a webcam driver (with source) that does support a Direct Show interface. It is written for CE 6, but could be recompiled for Win Mobile 5/6 since they support Direct Show capture drivers. The link for that driver is

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=2ef087c0-a4ae-42cc-abd0-c466787c11f2&DisplayLang=en

Doug
Dec 3, 2007 at 8:07 AM
Edited Dec 3, 2007 at 8:08 AM
Hello JuCobb2,
Can you tell me what kind of window mobile 6.0 you have, is it a pda, and really with a usb host controller?
I am looking for some device like that.
and Could you tell me if the driver works with your machine?
Thanks

Maoan
Dec 3, 2007 at 1:23 PM
It is the professional version of mobile 6. So yes it is a PDA. The device I am using is manufactured by a company called TDS. They have a couple units. The one I am using in the Nomad. This driver does not work on mobile 6. I have not had time to check if the microsoft driver, shown a couple posts ago, works. But I believe it probably will.
Dec 3, 2007 at 3:08 PM
But do u know if this pda is with usb host controller?
because I have posted a question before, and Mr. Boling said normally the pda with WM doesn't have
a USB host controller, so it's impossible to use the camera with the pda.
http://www.codeplex.com/cewebcam/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=15624
Thanks for replying
Apr 29, 2008 at 4:32 PM
Hey Moanz, I know of a few Mobile 5 and 6 devices that support USB host mode. I have a few of Symbol's MC90xx series running mobile 5 and they have a software switch to change it to USB host mode. I think (not sure) the MC70 has the same switch. I have a bunch of weird ones too and I believe they all support USB host mode as well. The problem is that all of these devices go for $1500 on up and they're gigantic. Check out Symbols (now Motorola) and HandHeld (now Honeywell) devices. I know symbol has a newer device that I haven't seen yet. I believe it was small-ish and maybe it supports USB Host.