Webcam & PPC 2003 problems

Sep 16, 2007 at 6:51 PM
Good evening,
I've got a problem with Toshiba e800 (+ USB Host cradle) + Logitech QC PRO 5000.
As discussied I've got webcam.dll driver and camtest2 application for PPC2003 from here http://www.aximsite.com/boards/x50-x51-forums/140786-ratoc-cf-usb-host-owners-request-webcam-test.html
I've plugged a camera to the host - a webcam.dll driver looks to be installed correct, because a special window was appeared only once and not reappeared more (and there wasn't any error with usb driver). After that I've started camtest2 and got strange message: "The driver reports no format supported or an error getting formats. Error code = 0".
What does it mean? May be the problem is that application (camtest2) was created generally for WM5?
Sep 20, 2007 at 2:36 PM
Hello

Camtest2 queries the driver for supported video-formats (protocol MJPEG, what resolutions and frame rates are available). Your driver reports that there aren't any. Quickcam pro 5000 should support several, though.

Camtest2 opens the driver CAM1 (function InitInstance in CamTest2.cpp). I once had a WinCE device with a dummy webcam driver named CAM1 installed. So camtest2 opened the dummy driver which returned no supported formats. The driver for my quickcam was named CAM2. Maybe you have a similar problem. Alter the camera driver name in CamTest2.cpp to CAM2. Maybe it works...

Daniel
Sep 20, 2007 at 4:33 PM
Edited Sep 20, 2007 at 6:41 PM
Evening, thank you for your reply,
Does it mean that driver CAM1 is inside camtest2 or it's in webcam.dll? The problem is that I don't have visual stuidio (or smth else) now to debug .cpp files and compile projects. Would you be so kind to compile a camtest2.exe adapted for CAM2 driver? This is only one chance for me to get work my camera..
Regards, Dmitry
Sep 22, 2007 at 9:54 AM
As soon as you plug in you camera and enter webcam.dll to the driver dialog-box, a name is assigned to your device. In webcam.dll it is defined that the devices using the driver are named CAM. Windows CE then just enumerates devices (CAM1, CAM2...).
Using its name, one can open the driver and use the webcam in an application. This is what camtest2 does (it opens CAM1).
If you can access the registry of your device you can check what drivers are currently loaded: see posting "Registering the webcam.dll".
I can send you a version of camtest2 that opens CAM2 compiled for CE5. I just saw that the driver you got is for WM5. I don't know the difference between CE5 and WM5 and what is different in that driver. So maybe there is another problem...

Daniel
Sep 22, 2007 at 10:56 AM
I would appreciate alot if you could send me camtest2 that opens cam2, I'm not sure if it will work with PPC2003 though (I've already tried several versions of camtest2 for WM5 and got an error which told that program was made not for current OS).
I'll try to use regedit for PPC to see the changes in registry after the cam is plugged.
Sep 23, 2007 at 8:32 PM
Let me know your email address...
Sep 23, 2007 at 10:31 PM
My email: dvtar@inbox.ru
Dmitry
Sep 23, 2007 at 10:34 PM
Edited Sep 24, 2007 at 6:57 AM
sorry, got a problem with connection
Sep 24, 2007 at 8:43 PM
Daniel, thank you for camtest2.zip. I've already tried to run it and got the same message when I run another versions of camtest2 for WM5: "camtest2 is not a valid Pocket PC application". - But after that To test it I've tried yours camtest2.exe on qtek 9000 with WM5 (with no USB host) and I've got standart error that camtest2 can't find a camera. So may be there is any chance to compile camtest2 for PPC2003 ?
Regards, Dmitry
Sep 25, 2007 at 8:08 PM
Hmm, unfortunately i don't know the Pocket PC OS.
I guess one would have to build camtest with a Pocket PC SDK...