neophyte needs help with Webcam driver

Aug 17, 2007 at 2:32 AM
I'm not a developer, not even a programmer. I just need a driver to hook up my Bodelin Proscope (microscope) to my NEC Mobilepro 900 with USB port. The Proscope is plug and play with XP, but no-workee with Windows CE .net 4.2.

The Webcam code on this site is what I want (I think...). It's source code. How do I compile, How do I get this thing to go?
Aug 23, 2007 at 5:55 PM
Hi queenidog

First of all you would have to check whether your microscope is USB Video Class (UVC) compliant or not. This driver only works with UVC devices.

If it is, you need to install the driver in Windows CE. You find the driver file in WebCam008.zip under Webcam/bin/... compiled for several architectures. Copy webcam.dll to your WinCE-Device (e.g. root directory) and plug in your microscope. A dialog-box should appear asking you for a driver for the connected device. Enter "webcam.dll". If there is no error-message, the driver has been installed.

Second, you need an application using the driver to get images from your microscope. A program is provided with the driver. Unfortunately, it has not yet been posted on this site, but devpi made the sources available (see thread "Search Program Sample" in this forum). You would have to compile these sources...

daniel0
Aug 25, 2007 at 2:38 AM
Dano,

Thanks for this information.
I tried the webcam.dll file but it didn't work. Which one do I use (there are 6) I assumed /x86rel/ but tried some of the others. I tried it in the MY Documents directory where it landed and the Windows directory. When I plug in my device, I get the error "Error installing USB driver webcam".

BTW, my scope is UVC compliant with a device ID of 19ab:1000.

Once I get the driver installed, I may be able to get some help from an IT guy at work who can compile the source code from devpi.
Aug 27, 2007 at 5:17 PM
Apparently, the NEC Mobilepro 900 works with an XScale-Processor. So you would need the webcam.dll in the ARMV4IRel-Folder.
But the driver does not accept the device ID of your microscope (supported device IDs are hard-coded into the driver; new devices need to be added manually and the driver needs to be rebuilt). I guess that's the reason for the installation-error.
If you like, I can build a dll that accepts the device ID of your scope and mail it to you...

daniel
Aug 29, 2007 at 1:06 AM
Dan-o

Thanks for your offer to build me a dll. If it's not too much trouble I certainly appreciate the offer.

do you think after this it will work?

I had been in touch with Bodelin (the makers of the microscope) and the guy who responded to my questions was quite arrogant about this whole business of hooking up the Proscope to a CE-device. If I get it working I'll tell him I have the solution and refer him back to you. Maybe you'll get some cash out of this!!! I have no interest in any of this except to make my little portable work, so if you make it work, you will possibly benefit as well.

Thanks again,

Bob
Aug 30, 2007 at 9:58 PM
Bob

Just let me know your email address (you can send me a message over the forum).
I think it will work. But then again I might be wrong. You will just have to test it.

daniel
Aug 31, 2007 at 2:12 AM
email to queenidog@nucleus.com

thanks again buddy.
Sep 3, 2007 at 1:40 AM
Daniel,

Thanks for the DLL. I tried it, but I get the same error.

The ID I gave you came off one of the USB support sites, so I don't really know for sure if it's correct.

I'll check again to see if the ID is correct.

Thanks

bob
Sep 3, 2007 at 1:55 AM
I checked again and found this:
USB Vendor 0x19AB
Prod ID 0x1000

So it's obvious it's the same as 19AB:1000
Sep 3, 2007 at 7:41 PM
Hmm, odd.

I've seen the same vendor- and product-id on some other website, so i guess the id's are correct.
I don't know, why the driver should not be installable.
I saw in a one of your previous postings that you got the following error message: "Error installing USB driver webcam". This suggests that you entered "webcam" instead of "webcam.dll" in the driver install dialog box. If you haven't copied the driver to the root-folder, maybe you need to enter the full path to the webcam.dll.

Otherwise, I'm not sure what could be the problem...

daniel
Sep 12, 2007 at 6:38 AM
Hi all experts,
I have the same question. My target is ARM 920T, AT2440 and OS is WinCE 4.2. I was using the WebCam.dll in ARMV4IRel from the release document. My webcam is also the QuickCam pro 5000. But it also shows me that "Error installing USB driver webcam". Now, I have two questions:

1. Do I need to rebuild webcam.dll by EVC? If yes, How to rebuild the webcam.dll file without WinCE 5.0 which means I don't have the include path "C:\WINCE500\PUBLIC\COMMON\DDK\INC" when I open the webcam.vcw project?

2. How to know USB Vendor 0x19AB, Prod ID 0x1000 as you described above? Is that important?

Can anyone help plz? Thanks in advance.

William. e-mail: hosila@gmail.com
Sep 13, 2007 at 1:30 AM
Regarding question # 2, I found the ID of my Proscope here:
http://webcam-osx.sourceforge.net/cameras/

It seems to be preety important because as Daniel stated above: "But the driver does not accept the device ID of your microscope (supported device IDs are hard-coded into the driver; new devices need to be added manually and the driver needs to be rebuilt). I guess that's the reason for the installation-error.
Sep 13, 2007 at 6:39 PM
Edited Sep 13, 2007 at 6:40 PM
Hi Bob,
Yesterday, I tried another webcam.dll from WebCam007.zip package in old forum, gotdotnet, which was closed now. It passed the driver requiring and I can see it in HKEYLOCALMACHINE\Drivers\USB\ClientDrivers\VideoClass.
But now, there is another new problem which is about the test application "CamTest2_007". It would pop-up window but can't capture any image. When I press the option "Get Still Image", it shows me the error: "Error capturing still. Error 31". Does anyone know what's wrong?
Sep 20, 2007 at 2:20 PM
Hi William

If you use a Quickcam pro 5000, there is no need to recompile the driver. Only if you want to use it with a video device not accepted by the driver.

About your error:
Do you get any more error messages?
Number 31 means: A device attached to the system is not functioning. I don't know what might cause this...

Daniel
Sep 20, 2007 at 7:47 PM
Hi Daniel,
Thanks for response. Here is pretty strange. There is no error message when I run it. But I can't get any image either. Only when I do Get Still Image, it shows me the error message mentioned before.
Now, I want to confirm two things.

1. If I pass the driver request; does that mean the driver is fine to use for the webcam? (If I use WebCam007.zip package; I can't use the WebCam008 package which will show "Error installing USB driver webcam")

2. How to rebuild the CamTest2_007 project in eVC 4.0? Could you teach me how to do it? Eventually, I have to create my own application to access webcam to get frame. For now, I want to make sure that the webcam and driver can work which I need the test application. Could you send me the CamTest2.exe which is builded in ARMV4I. ? I am thinking perhaps my test application is different version with yours. Thank you.

William. e-mail: hosila@gmail.com
Sep 23, 2007 at 8:37 PM
William

I've never looked at version 007. With version 008, if you are able to install the driver (enter webcam.dll in the dialog box which appears when you plug in your camera and no error appears), it means that the driver accepts the camera (the driver checks vendor and product id of the cam). I think it's strange that you cannot install the 008 driver. Have you tried entering the whole path to where you put the DLL (like Windows\webcam.dll)?

I build camtest2 with Visual Studio 2005. I might be able to help if you have a specific problem. I sent you the version of camtest2 i use.

Daniel
Sep 24, 2007 at 6:23 PM
Edited Sep 24, 2007 at 6:25 PM
Daniel,
Thanks for your file and response.
I have tried your suggestion to enter the complete path, but it still can't work. :(
I also copy and paste the camtest2.exe to my target. But it will show an error message:
"Cannot find 'camtest2' (or one of its componenets). Make sure the path and filename are correct and that all the required libraries are available."
It looks like that the camtest2.exe building from VS 2005 can't be compatible.
Have you built it on eVC 4.0 in SDK_420 and ARMV4I? I guess that is the reason why 008 driver can't work. Thank you.

William.
Sep 25, 2007 at 8:01 PM
Whops, i missed that you're working with CE4.2. I build for CE5.
I thought the driver works with CE4.2 as well. But maybe you're right and it needs to be rebuilt to work with 4.2...
Sep 26, 2007 at 7:23 PM
Daniel,

I am sorry bothering you rebuilding that. If it really needs a lot of rebuilding time but anyone can do it. Could you teach me how to rebuild that and what component or file I need? BTW, I am a graduate student and I will use these only on my research.
Thank you.

William.
Sep 29, 2007 at 10:23 AM
Hello William

Here is what I did in brief to build the driver:
I opened WebCam.vcw in VS2005. It converted the workspace but several dependencies (libraries) were missing. Some I found in the CE-SDK. Others only come with Platform Builder (Software to create a windows CE image). I downloaded and installed the evaluation version from Microsoft, wherein i found all necessary files.
The hardest part was to configure the VS-Project to find all includes and dependencies...

Daniel
Oct 2, 2007 at 10:25 PM
Daniel,

Regarding the DLL you built for me...was this CE5 or CE4.2? I have the latter (CE net 4.2).

Oct 4, 2007 at 5:33 PM
Hello Bob
I built it with the CE5 SDK...
Oct 4, 2007 at 11:57 PM
Daniel,

Is it easy to rebuild with CE4.2? I don't have any programming tools 'cause I'm not a programmer.

thanks
Oct 9, 2007 at 7:11 PM
I guess the only difference is, that you have to build against the CE 4.2 libraries. So you would have to install the SDK for CE 4.2 and platform builder for CE 4.2 (As I described above, I couldn't find all the dependencies for the driver in the SDK. Some of them came with platform bulider, the tool to create a windows ce image).

Unfortunately I have installed neither.
Coordinator
Oct 11, 2007 at 12:46 AM
To build the driver for 4.2 you'll need Embedded Visual C++ (not Visual Studio) and an SDK that targets a 4.2 device. eVC is actually free and can be downloaded from Microsoft's web site. Download Service Pack 4 for eVC and install it as well. I believe you'll get a Pocket PC 2003 SDK installed as part of the eVC install. If so, you can compile to that target and you'll be set for an ARM-based system.

Doug